June 28, 2013 by rachelcmann
Now you don’t. I actually REALLY liked this movie. I hadn’t even heard of it before it was in theaters and I saw a couple of trailers but WOW.
Let me start with the not great stuff:
– I’m so over Jesse Eisenberg as Mark Zuckerberg in every movie
– Suspension of belief, fine okay, but when you turn four paper cards into a glass cube we have a problem
– Failure of the Bechdel Test* (there are three women with names but they never talk to each other)
Okay, on to the good stuff!
-First of all, it would have been really easy to do too much CGI garbledygook (shut up spell check) and while it was definitely in effect, it was pretty subtle (okay, there’s one moment with these silky curtains that I rolled my eyes at but whatever)
– Gooooood story
– Amazing cast! Isla Fisher (love), Michael Caine (!!!), Morgan Freeman (duh), Mark Ruffalo (adorbs), Woody Harrelson (so much better without the Haymitch wig), Jesse Eisenberg (never ever ever wear a soul patch, he is Exhibit A), Dave Franco (surprisingly good!), Melanie Laurent (making dark roots look…not terrible)
– Holy crap twist
It’s been awhile since I saw a movie that I really wanted to recommend and see again and talk about and and and….yeah, go see it. The End.
*I’m going to write up a thing about the Bechdel test soon, just haven’t quite firmed up my thoughts yet
- Movie Review: Stellar cast makes magic in ‘Now You See Me’ (patriotledger.com)